Where I watched it: Toronto Premiere at Scotiabank Theatre
"Infinity Pool" is Brandon Cronenberg's third feature film. To be brutally honest, I stopped watching his first film "Antiviral" after about 20 minutes. I kinda hated it. I own a copy of his second film "Possessor" but I still haven't gotten around to watching it.
I decided to check out his latest film in part due to the premiere screening having Brandon Cronenberg himself and star of the film Alexander SkarsgÄrd in attendance. Another big draw was Mia Goth with "Pearl" being one of my favorite films of 2022.
I knew very little about this movie going in and I would recommend keeping it that way for anyone interested in seeing this. The trailer is weird and vague enough that you can safely watch it without spoiling much.
To say this film is an assault on the senses is an understatement. Imagine David Lynch, Gaspar NoĂš and David Cronenberg all stepped into the teleportation machine from "The Fly" and came out on the other side as some singular monstrous blend of all three of them. It would be horrifying, seizure inducing and challenging to understand. But it would be impossible to look away from. That's "Infinity Pool."
Without giving much away, the story is constantly compelling, giving the viewer enough information to be strung along but also just enough gaps to fill with ones own interpretation.
The performances are amazing, Mia Goth again knocks it out of the park. SkarsgÄrd does a great job in some extremely bizarre scenes that will make you question how Brandon Cronenberg convinced him to be in this movie.
On a technical level, the film looks amazing. Gorgeous cinematography and wonderfully disturbing uses of practical effects. It's hard not to make the comparison but Brandon Cronenberg is really giving his father a run for his money with this one in terms of body horror.
Overall, I really enjoyed this film and I will backtrack my way to "Possessor" in light of this cinematic accomplishment. I would recommend seeing this film in theaters for the full sensory overload experience but be warned, it is heavy on its explicit content in every imaginable (and unimaginable) way.
8/10
8/10


Comments
Post a Comment