Where I watched it: AMC+
I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into when I put this on. "Death Spa" is a horror movie that takes place at a fitness center in the late 80s. Now, is a fitness center usually considered a spa? I'm not sure, but it's definitely not what comes to mind when I envision a traditional spa. Especially not the kind of establishment that this movie takes place in. It's almost like a workout mall.
This gym/spa thing is inexplicably run by an advanced computer system that literally controls everything from the hot water in the showers to the resistance levels on the exercise bikes. The computer system is operated by one person named David, and he's a computer wizard of unmatchable skills.
But forget about that for now. Let's talk about Michael, the infinitely cool manager of the gym/spa. Rarely wearing a shirt and constantly desired sexually by all who frequent the gym, Micheal has a traumatic past, one where his wife immolated herself because... I'm not exactly sure why... she was in a wheelchair, I'm blanking on the setup... maybe she was injured in a gym accident. Doesn't matter. She's dead. And the computer wizard, David (who is also Michael's dead wife's brother), blames him for it.
Amidst the weird and colorful jumble of 80s meets 90s aesthetics, we have our plot: THE GHOST OF MICHAEL'S DEAD WIFE POSSESSES THE COMPUTER SYSTEM THAT RUNS THE SPA.
Sorry for the caps, I felt it necessary.
So, with that we get a series of goofy deaths such as: man's ribcage gets blown out while using an arm press machine, woman gets melted by acid water sprinklers (the ones that turn on when there's a fire in the building), woman gets killed by putting her hand in a haunted blender, and so forth.
The acting is pretty bad but I would expect no less from a film like this. The computer guy David has a "Troll 2" moment.
The filmmakers did a great job at hiding the crew/equipment from the many reflective materials/surfaces in the scenes but unfortunately didn't do as good a job hiding the boom mic.
I will say some of the practical effects used for the death scenes are pretty cool. The melted woman and a woman whose head literally blows up in one scene is top notch.
For all the stupid stuff going on in this, I have to admit that it's a pretty fun watch. The amount of boobage in this is the definition of excessive and let's be honest it was probably the main if not only reason this film was made in the first place.
Oh, this film was released in Europe under the title "Witch Bitch."
6/10
Comments
Post a Comment