Where I watched it: Tubi
Years ago I saw a film called "Asylum Blackout." It premiered at TIFF under a different name, I think it was called "The Incident." It was one of my favorites of that year. A few years later, I stumbled upon a hidden gem called "Bone Tomahawk." Little did I know that these two films had something in common:
S. Craig Zahler.
Now, many years after seeing either of the aforementioned I decided to see what Zahler had to offer in a non-horror concept, which brings us to "Brawl in Cell Block 99."
I have to say, this film is a hard sell right off the bat with its clunky title, awful poster featuring a bald Vince Vaughn, and the fact that it's on Tubi. It feels like it's going to be one of those straight to VOD movies that you'd see Bruce Willis in (bless his soul). But you'd be foolish to let all of that prevent you from seeing this film.
This film follows a recovering alcoholic who, in order to afford better for his wife and unborn daughter, gets into the drug trafficking business. Of course, this plan ultimately lands him in a prison cell. Once in prison, he is coerced, with a horrific threat against his unborn child, to find and kill a man in cell block 99, but in order to do that (or even get to cell block 99) he has to prove that he is in need of being moved into a maximum security setting. So with that, we follow our main character as he literally beats the shit out of everyone.
The beat downs are brutal. BRUTAL. My goodness, the violence in this is just something else. All practical effects as well.
Vince Vaughn did a great job in this, as did the supporting cast. It even gets quite emotional toward the end. The story is ever-engaging, and despite its runtime being close to 2 and a half hours, it felt like it was over too soon.
I definitely recommend checking this out, it's just like "Bone Tomahawk" in that doesn't have any instant pull through its promotional materials, but once you press play, you'll know you're locked in.
Everyone back aboard the S. Craig Zahler train, next stop... "Dragged Across Concrete."
8/10
Comments
Post a Comment