I'm sure this goes without saying but "Prey" is the latest film in the "Predator" series. It's as far back as the predator lore goes (if you discount the Mayan pyramid shit in AvP) and follows a Comanche woman who wants to prove her abilities as a hunter to her tribe and herself.
I'm not going to build suspense here, I loved this movie. It's a fantastic tale of overcoming challenges, misogyny, societal expectations and it ultimately demonstrates that cunning will always overpower bravado.
From a horror perspective, there's not too much going on... unless you equate violence and gore to horror... because it's definitely not lacking in that department. But suspense building and genuine terror of the Predator isn't there like it was in the first film.
Speaking of which, there are a lot of nods to the original Predator movie and a clever connecting element to the second Predator movie, none of which feel forced or shoehorned in.
I had a couple of issues with the Predator's tech in this film but you can totally write that off depending on how you choose to fill in the blanks.
Foreshadowing and visual storytelling are huge and expertly executed in this. Oh and the shots are absolutely gorgeous.
Can't say enough good things about this.
9/10
Comments
Post a Comment