I wasn't a huge fan of the 2018 David Gordon Green "Halloween" sequel. I hated "Halloween Kills." And here we have it... the final... absolutely final... there will never be another one made... "Halloween Ends."
I know this is going to seem like I'm just saying this to be a contrarian but it's my honest opinion... I liked this movie and I think it's the best of the David Gordon Green trilogy and I will go as far as to say that it's one of the best entries in the entire franchise.
Yeah yeah, Michael Myers is not in the movie all that much but who cares? Aren't there like 15 other movies that have nothing but Michael Myers slashing people up? Just go watch one of those if that's what you're looking for.
This one is a slow burn (for this type of film) and takes its time developing characters (for this type of film) and it has a deeper meaning summed up perfectly in Laurie Strode's closing remarks..."Evil doesn't die... it changes shape." Think about it this way... Michael Myers has been credited as "The Shape" since the 1978 original. So, it was never about Michael Myers specifically... it was about the embodiment of evil. The "shape" of evil. So, being butthurt that he's not in this movie for every second of the runtime is idiotic because what we do get for 99% of the film is... EVIL... manifesting iself in a shape we haven't seen yet.
What about all the violence and gore?? I thought this was going to be the biggest bloodbath yet?? Well kids, when gore is used sparingly it becomes more effective. "Halloween Kills" was a good example of how you can get almost instantly numb to gore with a gratuitous body count. In this movie, the kills are actually shocking because they're spaced out. Which as a side note is kind of funny because some idiot brought a couple of 10 year olds to the movie theatre and I was hoping that it would be a gore fest so that the kids would be traumatized and their guardian would realize what a stupid idea it was to bring kids to this. In the end I think the movie just bored the shit out of them.
7/10
Comments
Post a Comment