The controversy surrounding this film definitely overshadowed the film itself but that's ok because the movie kinda sucks anyway.
Imagine "Stepford Wives" "The Village" and "San Junipero" had a baby. That's what this movie is.
I will say the first half of the film is engaging. It's mysterious, even Lynchian at times but it all starts to fall apart as the mystery is revealed.
The subtext is pretty clear and while I do give it credit for its messages of female oppression and inequality, I've seen films recently that have done it better, namely "Barbarian" and "Watcher."
Solid acting all around, Florence Pugh is great. Chris Pine does a good impression of Jordan Peterson (minus the Kermit voice). The sets are fun and the colors are vivid. Again the only thing that truly brings this movie down is the reveal. It just makes no sense. It makes everything that happens in the movie make no sense.
5/10
Comments
Post a Comment