Where I watched it: Cinema
"Pearl" is the prequel to "X" which came out earlier this year and is written and directed by Ti West, this time with a co-writing credit going to Mia Goth, who plays the titular character.
I wasn't the biggest fan of "X" but I'm interested in watching it again to see if it has been recontexualized by "Pearl." That being said, even if it doesn't make me feel differently about "X" it will not sway my opinion of "Pearl."
"Pearl" is a masterpiece. I was one of 5 people in the movie theatre but I was completely prepared to give a standing ovation when the end credits began to roll. I saw this movie yesterday and cannot stop thinking about it. It's one of the best movies I've seen... maybe ever.
Because of its connection to "X" I think that it might be beneficial to look at this film as a self contained story and not part of the Ti West "XXX" trilogy (yes, there's another one coming out) just from a continuity standpoint.
Why is this movie so good you ask? Well let me tell you. It's Mia Goth. Holy ****ing cannoli batman, this is a performance for the ages. Think about how you felt after watching Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight. Think about how you felt about Jack Nicholson in The Shining. Roles that were so properly embodied by the actors that it wouldn't have worked any other way. That's what Mia Goth brings to the role of Pearl. She taps into a wide range of emotions that is just mesmerizing to watch. There's a scene that holds on her for what feels like 10 minutes and it's glorious. And the audition scene... oh man there are parts that really bring out the feels. Don't think I looked away for one second during the last shot.
Not only is Mia Goth phenomenal in this, so are the supporting cast. Her parents are a perfect duo, the father who is wheelchair-bound and unable to speak gives an unbelievably great performance with literally just his eyes.
Performances aside, Pearl is a film unlike any other. It takes place in 1918 and is stylized in a bright and color saturated way that makes everything seem like a Disney movie. Which makes everything all the more disturbing when shit hits the fan.
For fans of "X" maybe you'll love it, maybe you'll think it's just ok. I think expectations need to be reset with this one because I hesitate to even really call it a horror film. It's really a character study. Just like Joker, it challenges you to humanize the villain.
I can't say enough good things about this movie. I can't wait to see it again. This might be Ti West's best film to date, call me crazy because I know where we all stand with House of The Devil but this is just something else.
9/10
Comments
Post a Comment