Skip to main content

"Lightyear" dir. by Angus MacLane


"Lightyear"

Where I watched it: Disney+

"Lightyear" is the fictional movie that the fictional toy from the "Toy Story" movies was based on. Pretty meta, right?

In this fictional movie (that is a real movie that you are really watching) Buzz Lightyear dooms an entire exploration vessel when his stubbornness towards working with "rookies" causes the vessel's hyperdrive to get destroyed resulting in the entire colony getting marooned on a (somewhat) hostile planet.

This buffoon of a Space Ranger then goes on to try and save the colony by testing hyperdrive batteries in space which to him takes minutes but in Interstellar fashion takes 4 years for everyone else back on the planet. He does this for so long that everyone that was originally on the vessel dies of old age.

This absolute f***wit continues to do this for 100 years until his goal of fixing the hyperdrive literally no longer matters.

Buzz teams up with his original Space Ranger partner's granddaughter and a couple of other characters to defeat an army of space robots and he learns that there's no "I" in "team" (but there is a "me" if you shuffle the letters around).

Basically nothing noteworthy here. Boring film with nothing connecting it to the Toy Story movies outside of the titular character. Nothing particularly exciting. No humor. The cat is sometimes cute.

Why am I reviewing this and not Prey? That's a damn good question that I have no satisfying answer for.

3/10
 

Comments