I've been aware of it's existence for a while but was on the fence about watching it due to it's controversial nature. The film is undeniably problematic for obvious reasons... namely the title. While I do think that it is exploitative in certain regards I also think that it actually has its heart in the right place at times, keep in mind this was made in the 30s, a time when there were a lot of misallocated sentiments towards differently abled people and people with deformities. The film has a reputation due to being banned in many countries and "containing shocking scenes" but all in all it's kind of just a bland film with a kind of boring and simple story. I never knew that the "One of us!" chant came from this film.
I don't really want to rate this film, so I won't. I will say that it's interesting to watch... not in a great way but also not in as bad a way as you might think.
Comments
Post a Comment