Where I watched it: Blu-ray (saw it in cinemas when it came out too but only getting around to reviewing it now.)
Robert Eggers is a master filmmaker. Don't care if you like his movies or not, it's 100 percent a fact that he's a master filmmaker.
I knew this movie was going to be good but dear lord this is a work of epic proportions. The shots alone in this are enough to be awe-struck. The performances are some of the best I've seen of this all star cast. Even someone like Ethan Hawke who I generally just see as meh did a fantastic job.
As are all of Eggers' films, this one is a period piece and is very historically informed. It blends reality with the profound and puts characters through trials of morality and mortality.
It's a shame that this was a commercial flop as the studios are going to be less likely to give Eggers this big a budget moving forward. But whatever, A24 will welcome him back with open arms and I'm sure he'll continue to make artful, thought provoking period pieces.
In terms of his other films (The VVitch, The Lighthouse) I think this one is probably the least "artsy" or "weird" even though it still maintains the signature Eggers stamp of unconventional storytelling.
Story wise, it's a basic revenge plot however it is based off of a Norse tale that was the inspiration behind Shakespeare's "Hamlet."
Amazing world building and immersion. I highly recommend anyone who hasn't seen this check it out immediately. Watch in a dark room and with a good sound system if possible.
I will avenge you father. I will save you mother. I will kill you Fjölnir.
9/10
Comments
Post a Comment